Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Mid-Life Crisis

Looking back on the past few months, it would (mildly) appear that I am going through somewhat of a mid-life crisis. I got a tattoo on my shoulder blade on a whim (I think I just heard my parents gasp... actually I can picture my dad, at his computer, reading this, shaking his head and sighing... much like he did when he found out that I was piercing my nose... hey, but that was for cultural reasons:) ), dyed my hair red, and bought a pair of Dr. Marten boots that I haven't had a desire to wear since high school. Now, the tattoo is there to stay. Inkers remorse or not, it ain't going anywhere- and it is kinda cute. It's a somewhat abstract version of a dandelion but Hanna immediately knew what it was, so I guess it's not as abstract as I think it is. She is my go-to girl for all of these difficult questions ("Hanna, which shoes do you prefer?"... of course she is the girl who would sport the red shirt with a blue skirt, green socks, and purple shoes and think nothing of it... hmmm, perhaps I should start getting second opinions...). Now the red hair dye didn't come out as planned. I toiled over which shade to get even though in the back of my head I knew that nothing would look like it did on the box since my hair is so dark to begin with. My hair has no hint of red whatsoever, unless I am in direct sunlight, at which point it looks like a deep red beanie on my head. The Dr. Martens are totally adorable, except I look like a really old Avril LeVigne wanna-be, and not as cute. I haven't had the courage to sport them yet, but in my head, they look amazing and I am intent on bringing back the punk meets posh look... wait, was that ever a look? Hmmm, that may explain the stares when I was in school... but all in all, this is a pretty cheap mid-life crisis... some people buy new cars, go crazy, change careers, etc... me? Mine is hardly noticeable and so far, it hasn't cost much. Perhaps this is just the pre-crisis. I am somewhat on the young end of the mid-life crisis average, so there is still time yet to add to the drama. Oh wait, I've got three kids, a dog, a puppy, a spouse, and an old house... who has time for drama? On most days, I'm really just too exhausted to have a real mid-life crisis, and on the days I am not, I'm busy looking for ways to wear Dr. Marten's without looking like a fifteen-year old goth chic. So perhaps the crisis will have wait till more time comes along which will be... ??

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?